November 13, 2011

A Horseback Riding Adventure!


My copper-colored steed Leon was a worthy mount (even if he occasionally tripped over rocks on the trail)

For some time now, I have longed to go horseback riding. Not just a trot around a track. I mean, real riding, on the trail, in the woods, through the mountains, over hill and dale...you get the picture.

That dream was realized this weekend when my friend Christina and I hit the road and drove to the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Hume, Virginia, and went on a 1.5-hour trail ride at the Marriott Ranch.

It was a glorious autumn day. The trees were in full color -- deep reds, fiery oranges, and rustic yellows -- against that bright blue sky that only a day in late fall can afford. The weather was perfect in the low 60s. Weather like that just feels like a gift.

The ride was just what I needed. The slow, soothing rhythm of the horse as he so graciously carried me on the trails - across streams, up and down hills, and through meadows. Manna to a soul overwrought by the cruel concrete and steel of city life. Being in the city has worn on me lately. All the noise, air pollution, and the angry, rude people. I needed some simplicity and some quiet.  I am a country girl by birth and will remain so at heart always.

My and Leon's shadow on the trail

Christina flashes a smile on the trail!

Heading toward an open field with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance

Heading back to the ranch

The end!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks amazing! Horseback riding is one of my favorite things to do, especially through the autumn woods. It's soul medicine. Your photos are beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Leon! this looks insanely fun. I haven't been on a horse since elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a fun outing! Are these Instagram photos? I really want to ride a horse on the beach (there's a company in south Florida that lets you go through water, etc... Need to do some research on this!). On my agenda after this baby is born...

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool! I was literally just thinking about horseback riding last night... I've only gone on a pony ride when I was really little :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS