March 9, 2011

Summertime

{Hepburn and Brazzi embrace in a Venetian courtyard}

{The lovers enjoy the Italian scene}

{Hepburn admires a gorgeous Italian shoe (a prelude to Carrie Bradshaw)}

All I wanted to do this evening was relax and watch a good film, and the Turner Classic Movie channel did not disappoint by airing Summertime or Summer Madness (1955), starring Katharine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi (Emile de Becque in South Pacific). Hepburn's character is Jane, an American woman traveling to Europe for the first time. The film is rich with quiet, breathtaking scenes of Jane's solitary character walking around Venice. It made me long for that special stillness only found on an Italian street.  Brazzi plays Ronaldo,  a dashing Italian antique dealer who woos Jane into an affair.

My favorite scene is set in St. Mark's Place: Jane sits at a cafe, snapping pictures and enjoying the scene while Ronaldo admires her from a nearby table. Once she realizes he is watching her, she quickly puts on her sunglasses and nervously tries to pay her cafe bill. The scene is so comical and, I must admit, is reminiscent of a similar event that happened to me the other day. Why must we women be so awkward when attractive men pay us attentions?! It just proves that certain human qualities are timeless.

I do recommend this film -- a fun frolic in Venice, with lots of meaningful moments and a rich tribute to 1950s fashion.

Images found here

3 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! We have such the same taste in film. I've been in the mood to watch classics like these recently. Have a lovely weekend, dear friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! New here but I just wanted to thank you for recommending this movie. I have a habit of going to the library and getting movies, especially oldies you can't easily find anywhere else. (Today I took home "An Affair to Remember," an old classic I saw and fell in love with when I was 15)

    I'll be on the lookout for this one :)

    Have a wonderful (rest of the) week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh REALLLLLY? An admiring glance? Whoohoo! Honestly, they make us feel awkward and yet fabulous at the same time. I've never heard of these films, though. I have to go see if they're on Netflix.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS