March 21, 2011

Blooms

I took this picture while running around the Tidal Basin last weekend. The Tidal Basin is where the heart of the Cherry Blossom Festival takes place. The fully-budded trees are on the verge of bursting forth in blooms.  The scene - especially with the majestic Jefferson Memorial - is stunning. My favorite place in DC.

Life has moved at a normal clip in the past week, and I have been busy with work, apartment settling, friend visiting, and planning for my upcoming visitors. All such normal, lucky things.

But amidst all this, my heart continues to weigh heavy over the horrific devastation in Japan. I feel so strange to be living while so many have died a world away.  They describe the destruction as "Biblical." The incomprehensibleness of this scares me. Humbles me every day.  Here I am, building my life, while so much life was destroyed.

In a small, simple way, I want to incorporate cherry blossom inspiration into my apartment, as a sort of tribute to the spirit of a nation that has been so wounded. I want my fortune to always be tied to this moment as a reminder and a symbol.

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I've always wanted to see the cherry blossoms in DC. You've just inspired me to try to incorporate cherry blossoms into a new jewelry piece...I need to get to my sketchbook! Glad to hear you're settling in and loving your new city! Have a wonderful week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cherry blossoms! Every year,I make a goal to go to DC during cherry blossom time, and I always miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very big heart dear Emily...
    I love reading your blog...
    hugs...Marianne

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS