January 13, 2011

Terrific TV Tips

The winter time of year is perfect for cuddling under a fluffy blanket, popping yummy popcorn (I like mine with parmesan cheese and herbs), and catching up on some good television. I love my television shows, especially many of the popular ones like The Office, Modern Family, and Glee.

However, I wanted to highlight three shows that I have been watching lately that are absolutely fantastic and should be watched by all!

1.) Parenthood

This show does the coolest, most interesting treatment of parenting that makes it fun for everyone - not just parents - to watch. I love big ensemble cast shows because there's so much more room for plot development and this show is doing a fine job of presenting the family of Bravermans in an intriguing and endearing way. Lauren Graham has done an impeccable job distancing herself from the character of Lorelai Gilmore through a subtly nuanced portrayal of Sarah, a mother who has little self-esteem and direction in her life. Another favorite is Peter Krause who plays the eldest brother Adam, the one always put upon and expected to not complain. He is always there to deliver an inspiring line and comfort his family. The four Braverman kids/parents have such a strong chemistry as a quartet and then within their own respective families. The little kids are adorable, smart, and well-cast to look like their parents (Mae Whitman kills it as Amber). Additional fun fact: the creator of Parenthood was also the head writer of Friday Night Lights (which I don't include in this post because this excellent show is sadly in its last season), so you know this show is well-written.

Overall, Parenthood is believable, sends goods messages, and feels like a nice respite against the inane crap that exists on the tube today! If only NBC would move it to the 9PM (instead of Tuesdays at 10 PM ET) slot because I think the show would be infinitely more successful!


2.) The Good Wife

Wow. Is this ever a smart show. The Good Wife keeps you on your toes the entire time, managing to throw in little twists and big turns to keep you guessing until the end. Starting with a Spitzer-style scandal, the show centers around Alicia Florrick (played so well by Julianna Margulies) who goes back to work after her politician husband (Chris Noth in a Mr. Big-like character) is incarcerated and lambasted for his indiscretions. She is a first year associate at a law firm run by her law school crush, Will Gardner (played by the always sexy Josh Charles). Each episode takes on a interesting and smartly- presented case. The show sometimes makes me wish I hadn't backed out of the law school track (but then I read this article). Watch this show if you like smart, intriguing ensemble dramas with characters who have electric chemistry, both romantic and non. Although, The Good Wife currently airs at the same time as Parenthood, Tuesdays at 10 PM ET (on CBS) #firstworldproblems

3.) Parks and Recreation

This NBC show is so funny it makes me giddy. Currently surpassing The Office (which broke the ground in so many ways for this type of comedy) in strength of humor, Parks and Recreation has a magical cast with, again, the chemistry that keeps me coming back. Leslie Knope (played so sweetly by Amy Poehler) is the deputy director of the Parks and Recreation department in Pawnee, Indiana. The rest of the characters are workers in the P&R department or a friend of Leslie's (Rashida Jones' Ann is always there so I don't know why they don't give her a job). My favorite characters are Tom Haverford (played so awesomely by Aziz Ansari) and Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman), whose mustache makes me giggle. Also, his cell phone ring tone is a gunshot, which should be offensive, but for some reason, it's hilarious because it's Ron. That's how good this show is. It makes gunshot ring tones funny. It comes back on January 20 at 9:30 PM ET!

Images found here, here, and here.

3 comments:

  1. I love all of these, but ESPECIALLY Parenthood - my favorite show right now! I can't get enough of it. Actually, I kinda want to be a Braverman! :P XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to see parenthood. my father in law says it's the best show ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Parenthood! Always entertaining... and often touching.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS