December 28, 2010

The Wall Décor of The King's Speech


I saw The King's Speech over the weekend and adored it! Such a wonderful film about the King George VI/the Duke of York and his speech impediment. Colin Firth (I simply swoon over his kind eyes and dashing countenance) plays an incredible, nuanced role as do Geoffrey Rush as his voice coach, Lionel Logue, and Helena Bonham Carter as Queen/Lady Elizabeth. What I love most about Lionel Logue is that he truly believed in his technique and skill despite all the naysayers. A truly inspiring character.

One aspect that jumped out to me was the way director Tom Hooper shot the movie, including several shots with vibrant walls behind the characters. Indeed, the walls -- especially the chipped paint and wallpaper of Logue's office -- became characters in the film to me. Beautiful retro textures and designs were used and I am nominated the set design crew for their Oscar right now! Here is an interview with the director, where he goes into detail about using the wall space in the film. 

Images found here, here, and here.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this movie, but I Love Colin Firthe! Have you ever seen "Love Actually"?

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to know that I'm not alone in obsessing over the walls in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! I loved those walls, they... kind of crashed down on me, in a... good way :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS