October 26, 2009

Sabrina, Fair

{Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond in the 1995 film Sabrina}

“Once upon a time, on the north shore of Long Island, not far from New York, there was a very, very large mansion, almost a castle, where there lived a family by the name of Larrabee. There were servants inside the mansion, and servants outside the mansion; boatmen to tend the boats, and six crews of gardeners: two for the solarium, the rest for the grounds, and a tree surgeon on retainer. And over the garage there lived a chauffeur by the name of Fairchild, imported from England years ago, together with a Rolls Royce; and a daughter, named Sabrina.”

{Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart in the 1954 film version of Sabrina}

Do you have certain rituals for a particular season? I do. An example is that I only watch certain movies at specific times of the year. In winter, I watch all the Jane Austen movies (like Sense and Sensibility or Mansfield Park) because they all showcase an English spring, which warms my heart in those spare, frigid months. In autumn, I watch the 1995 film version of Sabrina. While I love the original version starring Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, there is something about the 1995 remake that connotes the perfect tone of fall. Perhaps this is due to John William's haunting and luxurious soundtrack, the stunning sets and cinematography, the scenes in Paris, or the marvelous cast of actors including Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, Greg Kinnear, Lauren Holly, Angie Dickinson, and French stars Fanny Ardant and Patrick Bruel.

The first time I saw this movie was in the fall, which is probably how the tradition began. I also went to Paris for the first time during the month of October. The combination of the movie's elements creates a peaceful, relaxing appreciation within me that I somehow connect to this time of year. The movie also makes me want to run away to Paris and work for Vogue. Now all that has to happen is that my father has to become a chauffeur to Carine Roitfeld's (editor of the French Vogue) best friend and then she has to take pity on me and make the right connection with Mme. Roitfeld. C'est simple!

{A shot of the Pont Des Arts in Paris - where I wish I was this minute!}
Images found here, here and here.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, what a romantic tradition! I LOVE the picture of Paris and don't blame you for wanting to be there right this instant!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS