February 18, 2009

Hating On The Bachelor

I spent a good part of last night trying to figure out why I was so upset with The Bachelor. I never watch this show. Last night, I threw a fit. In my mind. My anger stems from the fact that Jason sent home Jillian, the one woman who could, in my opinion, been the most stable and mature wife and mother, which both he and Ty desperately need. Jillian was the most age-appropriate for him. She is the most grounded, accomplished, interesting, and also, the most classically beautiful. The other girls are way to0 young and just a little trashy (I'm thinking specifically of Melissa). I finished the episode steaming because in my mind, Jillian and her family held the most grounded, down-to-earth potential for Jason and his son. Jason's libido marginalizes his son's welfare more and more in this series. His sexual desire blinds Jason to the reality that he needs to provide a good, stable mother who can help take care of his son and be a good role model in terms of embodying a strong woman who can have a career and a family.

I think the font of my anger comes from the fact that Jason's physical connection trumped his emotional and spiritual connection. Don't get me wrong, physical connection is very important. But his choice does not bode well for the smart, independent females of the world. In a small way, I like to think of myself as one of those women, who offers more in terms of her intellect and humor than her physical appearance. Inevitably, I took Jason's rejection of Jillian quite personally. I can't help but feel like it's another sign that while men may say they admire strong, smart women, they really want a pretty chick with green eyes (if he says one more thing about Molly's green eyes, I swear...) who will stay at home and take care of their children. While I want to be a mother and take care of my children, the thought of being reduced a mere physical object makes my stomach turn. I need my independence. This is why I liked Jillian the best because she is independent and vulnerable: the epitome of a genuine woman. Apparently, she is too much of woman for Jason to handle.

Note: I should also mention this post was stimulated by a black cloud hanging over my head today. I think my unusual anger at a trivial reality show is just a byproduct of today's crabby, hormonal moodfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS