February 9, 2010

Love Scribbles

In the spirit of this romantic holiday, I offer you famous love notes by New Yorkers being featured around New York City. The note above is a scribble by e.e. cummings to Marion Morehouse, a fashion model. The New York Times article references Mark Twain, whose love letters will be read aloud in the city in celebration of the holiday. His sweet note to his wife expresses his gratefulness over her being born so that he could love her - how marvelous is that?

I adore historic love letters, especially ones expressing ardent passion for another. Sigh. If only Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knightley would write me a feverish missive (although I daresay their ladies might have a thing or two to say about that - and I know better than to cross the path of Elizabeth Bennet!)!

Image from here (The New York Times).

4 comments:

  1. I love historic love letters and poems too! My husband will be out of town working through the weekend and I've hidden some favorite ones around in his bags!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love them too, i have a whole book about love letters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Austen references...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me, I loved the one by E.B. White!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lovely bit of your own marginalia!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS